5.25.2007

Contests.

I never, ever in my life want to be an editorial assistant (which is what I'm basically doing now at the News). Especially if they have to do contest stuff.

The executive editor actually called it "busy work" yesterday. Gee, thanks.

But this is what I've decided. I will always have respect for these people in the future because I understand how much they have to do and appreciate that they do it (even if it is their job).

I can't imagine having to do this for a daily newspaper. Gathering lists from every department, making sure there's are no gaps in the contest year (which means you should have at least three copies of each newspaper...365 times 3...I can't do math, but you get the point), or at least that you have PDFs of each newspaper, making tear sheets for every entry in all 39 (or however many - for NPA, it's 39) categories, not misplacing anything, getting all the entries together to mark, label and put into folder and envelopes, keeping the lists are up-to-date because they constantly change, dealing with reporters who wrote down the wrong dates for their stories...

You'd have to start a month in advance.

Anyway, in other news...

I just spilled coffee on my skirt. Grrr. Of course, it had to be on the white ribbon part...but I don't think you can tell unless you're looking for it.

Oh, and I'm looking for a place to live in Reno come August. If you (for whoever reads this, which I don't think is a lot of people anyway) come across anything, let me know.

Back to contest lists and papers...and I STILL haven't started my story yet.

And I need more coffee.

Update: Went with Janiece to Starbucks and got an iced caramel macchiato. Caffeine should hold until lunch time. Also am now officially out of cash. Good thing today's the final paycheck of the year from the 'Brush.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh! Thanks for reminding me about paychecks!

<3

annie said...

Annie's unsoliticted advice:

1. You should carry a tide stick (I should know, I'm constantly spilling stuff on me and the tide stick works).

2. I hate busy work at internships, but it's inevitable. Last summer at the RGJ they would send me too isolated neighborhoods to gather quotes for other people's stories. I would get so mad until I remembered that scene from "All The President's Men" where they knock on the doors. Then I realized that internships are never glamorous, but they are what you make them. What would be awesome is if you could come out of this awards bullshit with 1-3 three awesome ideas to pitch them. I'm sure they would appreciate it, realize how fantastic you are (which you are) and think twice about wasting your time again.

Hope all is well.

Love,
annie