8.09.2007

Anecdote.

"...Bailey traveled on public transit in Detroit, where he had worked at the Detroit Free Press. On board the bus were passengers just staring out the window. The next day, Bailey brought newspapers for them to read, giving one section to one rider and the others to other riders."

The above anecdote is about Chauncey Bailey, the Oakland Post editor who was murdered last week while walking to work because he was investigating this business's financial situation.

And I think that it's something I would like to do someday.

The giving the papers out to people on public transit, I mean.

What better way to open their eyes than to place it directly into their hands? They don't have to read it - it would just be giving them the option to.

Maybe the key is to remind them that the option is still available, still exists and is waiting for them to come back to it.

Also, had a nice chat with my editor today about journalism, my future in journalism, how to improve my journalistic skills, and all that jazz. It was nice.

No comments: